Sunday, October 30, 2011

What Most Matters



It's been a while since I've been on this blog but I stumbled back upon it and am glad to be here, writing to virtual computer land once again. Things have been good. Mihai is finally back from his Basic and AIT Training- that was a long 7 months apart let me tell you!! I wouldn't wish that on anyone but I also want to share with you something I learned throughout the process; distance really does make the heart grow fonder. Taking time apart from your loved one makes you appreciate how incredible they really are.

I was able to realize that who takes the trash out, the fact that he always 'forgets' to vacuum, or his idea of a home cooked meal comes in a cardboard pizza box... all of that stuff doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Yet, being in the day to day relationship it is so easy to get caught up in the small stuff and over time we allow those little annoyances to get to us causing big silly stupid arguments, trust me I knoooow!

Having taken these 7 months apart I have learned this: 1. How amazing, strong, dedicated and driven Mihai is to a country he was not born in and to his little family of three 2. A huge reminder at how strong, capable, dedicated, loyal and loving I am (sometimes we ladies need a good reminding of our true power and strength) 3. Our country is filled with very brave, dedicated, courageous men and women that serve our country every day. Their are also many men and women that are offering their own service while staying home alone and managing families and full time jobs as their loved ones risk their lives to protect our country. 4. That distance offers perspective, a fresh start, and a stripping away of silly stupid petty layers and exposing your relationship for what it is at the core allowing you the opportunity to observe the truth of your relationship.

Often times in our society we view time apart as a signal that there is something "wrong" in our relationship. Yet, I now believe that sometimes putting a little distance between your relationship can absolutely nurture your relationship and bring it back to its authentic state. This space allows you the opportunity to remember and appreciate who they really are and value your relationship from an entirely different place. I am NOT talking about the 7 months time apart that we had to take. Though full of learning it was challenging and often times anxiety provoking. I am speaking about allowing yourself more pockets of "me time." Perhaps a week with your ladies or your guys, a weekend away just by yourself, a solo night out to the movies, a yoga workshop, perhaps a new pottery class? The time that you give to yourself, away from your partner, nourishes you and makes your time with together that much more exciting and abundant.

As I sit here and type, I look around our home and yes the floors still need vacuuming, his hats are scattered all over the house, and a cardboard pizza box is jammed into the trash can from last nights dinner...."ahhhhhh!" screams my organized, detail oriented brain.. yet, I smile as I hear him and our Rudy dog snore in the other room and I hear my heart remind me...but he's here, Cala. He's home.

And that is what matters most.

No comments: